Richard J. Murphy
20437 Sager Road
Results-driven, team-oriented, positive thinking, and experienced professional systems analyst / engineer seeking database applications position in a small to medium sized team environment. Wide range of experience in the design, implementation, and support of successful commercial database products on a variety of platforms.
Systems: Windows, UNIX (SUN, HP-UX, AIX, LINUX), IBM MVS / VM, VAX
Languages: C++, C#, C, ProC, PL/SQL, TSQL, Perl, UNIX scripting
Software: Oracle, MS SQL Server, MS Analysis Services, Oracle/Hyperion Essbase
Independent Contractor 2010 2011
Kohls Milwaukee, WI
o Implemented a package of 40 ETLs from JDASoftware Enterprise Planning using JDAs FDE package with Oracle procedures and UNIX scripts. This package replaced and enhanced a previous package of JDA DML scripts to include summing, averaging, and spreading values in dimension members, and lagging in Time. I optimized the queries so that the entire package runs in ten minutes where the previous package took five hours.
JDA Software Group Scottsdale, AZ
o Benchmarked a data consolidation and load process, then re-implemented the process (C++ and ProC) with multi-threading to meet overnight batch-processing windows.
Software Group, Inc.
o Diagnosed Oracle SQL query performance issues and implemented solutions that dramatically improved customers processing time (minutes rather than hours)
o Implemented and maintained tools to improve the development, deployment, and test phases across four operating system platforms (Windows, SUN, HP-UX, and AIX).
Sr. Software Engineer
· Implemented high performance production Extract-Transform-Load processes for large retail customers on Oracle and SQL Server
· Designed and implemented an application to produce high performance multidimensional data extraction queries against Oracle star-schema databases.
o Implemented a dashboard to report and alert the condition of distributed databases
o Diagnosed performance problems in server-side processing of online applications, and implemented solutions to bring response time in seconds.
SQL Server DBA (2001 2003)
· Designed, implemented, and enforced data backup and recovery procedures for in-house and customer-hosted databases.
· Implemented and maintained the server side of a two-way data sync with multiple distributed clients.
o Created, then automated a process to migrate prototype development databases into production databases at the customers site, saving in-house programming and on-site setup.
o Designed and implemented a peer-to-peer data-sharing system to automatically coordinate databases across disparate operating systems and databases. Installed at customer sites to provide overnight updates of OLAP data.
o Supported several development teams and customers with ad-hoc tools and automation to solve database problems in an agile programming initiative to save development time and costs.
o Appointed as Customer Advocate
o Identified redundant capabilities and standardized features on leased mainframe and UNIX equipment to save more than $120,000 per year on long-term leases.
Sr. Computer Scientist - SQL Server and Analysis Services Development (2001 2003)
· Coordinated, standardized, and published customized SQL Server databases for a web-enabled multi-dimensional budgeting product. These projects included VB, VC++, and Perl tools and procedures to capture customer requirements and create new applications, and also included tools and procedures to upgrade existing applications to current revision levels.
· Designed and implemented wizards to automatically convert existing SQL and Essbase applications into the new budgeting application.
· Mentored entry-level programmers to increase skills and create viable applications.
Technical Manager Application Development Language (1997 2001)
· Managed a team for the development, commercial release, and support of a proprietary relational database and modeling system (ADL, System W, Arthur, IFPS) across nine platforms.
· Managed Y2K verification and certification effort.
· Provided direct customer support through site visits in the U.S. and U.K.
· Wrote peer-to-peer and client-server systems to automatically migrate and integrate data across a variety of databases and platforms, including Oracle, Hyperion Essbase, and IBM DB2.
Computer Scientist - Application Development Language (1991 1997)
· Designed and implemented data conversion and integration modules.
· Designed and implemented a multi-protocol, multi-platform data communication with remote procedure capability for a data integration product.
Sr. Member Technical Staff Modeling and Data Integration (1983 1991)
· Designed and implemented data management modules for System W, a very successful mainframe relational database/data warehousing and modeling product.
· Organized and conducted design and code reviews.
· Designed and implemented cross-platform development procedures and tools.
Member of Technical Staff Database and Statistical Analysis (1980 1983)
· Designed and implemented data queuing, time-series analysis, and forecasting modules for Tactics and Orion, leadingedge proprietary statistical analysis products.
Member of Technical Staff - Operating System Development (1978 1980)
· Implemented scheduling and memory management modules for Commander II, a successful proprietary time-sharing operating system.
Arbor Computer Corp.
o Designed and implemented an interrupt driven bar-code scanner and conveyor controller on the new M6800 chipset, which lead to the company implementing a real-time operating system and producing commercially viable conveyor systems.
Member of Technical Staff - Real-time material handling
· Designed, implemented, and installed material handling systems (inventory and order databases, conveyer controllers, automated warehouses) in post offices, retail warehouses, and an oil refinery.
· Jonathon Lewis Oracle Performance Tuning
· Introduction to MDX (2003)
· Introduction to Programming .NET
· Programming the MS SQL Server Database #2043 (NetDesk )
· Software Development in ORACLE
· Programming MFC